the elusive search for happiness

When people talk about the "blessings" in their lives it's usually huge things or people in their lives. Last night I realized one of the biggest blessings in my life is my ability to be content or to be at peace. Some people just keeping searching for something better that is out there. They can't get these ideas out of their heads. They look for the perfect place to live, the perfect job, the perfect person thinking all of this will make them happy or will "complete them" to steal a line from Jerry Maguire. All of those things are great, but I think the true happiness is within yourself. If you're not complete or at peace nothing else is going to make you feel that way.

As I talked to my dad about this twentysomething mid-life crises I've seen among my friends he asked if these people had a strong faith. Funny, how I think he just pinpointed the problem or at least a huge part of it. That's where my peace comes from. I know there's a greater force out there that's in control so it's not really up to me to find perfection.

Comments