Buckeye fever....or shall I say madness?

Today's the day. The countdown is over. OSU football season has begun.... The day all of us in Columbus, Ohio wait for all year long is finally here and with any luck the season will last through late December or early January when we'll start the countdown again.

Until I went to college or even started my first job, I didn't realize that Buckeye Fever is very unique. It has always been a part of my life so I never realized that someone might NOT be an OSU fan. Doesn't everyone wear red, or "scarlet," every Friday in the fall or talk about the game for four months straight? To me this is just second nature. That and seeing another Buckeye fan out in public and putting my arms over my head and saying "O H !!" to which they respond, also putting their arms over their head, with "I O!!!" This just happened last weekend at Put-In-Bay by the way...

When you meet people from other places, you realize how all this fuss over a college sports team is pretty strange. People don't understand that for years, OSU football was the only team Columbus had. Football was here before The Crew soccer team or the here a few seasons, gone the next Columbus Blue Jackets hockey team or whatever other semi-professional basketball or football team decided to make a go for it in Columbus. We really do "bleed scarlet and grey."

I think the only other fans that might have the same Buckeye Fever craziness are the Texans....which makes the game next Saturday night that much more exciting. I mean, the Texas fans have some hand symbol for their team. When they see each other out in public wearing a Longhorn hat or t-shirt, the "hook-em horns" hand sign is in effect---tying them together as Texans or at least as fans.... I guess this means that next weekend maybe we'll finally have fans that understand us..... : )

Comments