I've decided to bet on baseball....

As I walked through the Chicago airport on Thursday morning--the same day the White Sox won the World Series--I realized that I need to start betting on baseball. The last three times I have traveled in the fall/winter, I've happened to be going to the town whose team just won the World Series. In 2002, I was going past the Anaheim Angels stadium the day they won. Last December, I was visiting a friend in Boston after the Red Sox won and on Thursday, I was in Chicago (okay the airport) a few hours after they won the World Series. So, any of you big baseball fans out there that root for a team in a cool, preferrably warm city, get in touch with me and maybe I can visit that town next fall. Good things are bound to happen. : )

It's funny because now that I'm on the west coast and starting an almost two week stint of "traveling" I'm realizing you learn a lot about yourself when you are on a trip. Maybe that is why it's sometimes hard to travel with certain people if you don't share the same travel agenda or personality. The last few days (I think that's how long I've been gone) I've observed that I really like Midwest prices and food choices. It's great for some people to try all these new foods and things, but for me it's not really my thing to eat some Peruvian dish that costs a lot when all I wanted was an inexpensive Mexican burrito. Granted the Central American food I had last night was really good and "new food" for me, but I was even more excited to find a Chipotle today on the way to the convention. I must say eating that Fajita Burrito and drinking my Diet Coke on the floor of the convention center, next to other people also sitting on the floor who I didn't know, was a highlight for me. The other highlight was the Lowe's booth that was giving away freshly baked chocolate chip cookies right from the kitchen they set up in the expo area.

The other thing I've noticed is conventions get interesting people to come be the featured speakers or personalities at these events. Today I got to see the guy that played Klinger on MASH( which played constantly for YEARS at my house growing up), Dr. Phil McGraw (aka Dr. Phil) and the people who host the HGTV show Designed to Sell. Pretty cool. Since the question is bound to come up, Dr. Phil came to our convention because this year the National Association of Realtors focused on balancing work and family and making family first. It just so happened that Dr. Phil wrote a book called Family First thus the reason to have him speak. Tomorrow night Glenn Fry who played with the Eagles will be in concert. I'm not sure what it says about your career when you start doing the convention gig...

Okay, I'm off to set my watch back an hour since daylight savings time is ending. I guess this means I will now be two hours different than the time when I left but still three hours different from Ohio. It's all very confusing....let's just say when I checked to see what time the OSU game was on today, the game was already over. Good thing we won : )

Comments