Monday morning quarterbacks and a dress code

My dad and his friends go to lunch as a group at least three times a week but they have a standing Monday luncheon time and place. In the spring and summer they talk about their golf games from the weekend, in the fall they recap OSU football and in the winter, if they are in town, they talk about their planned vacations.

This week a new topic came up, Larry's Saturday luncheon at noon sharp with his daughter's boyfriend/gentleman friend (she's 40ish and he's 50ish). Boy, did that start the gossip network of the lunch crew. What could this man want to talk to Larry about? Does he want to marry his daughter--why else would he meet at noon--not 12:30 but early lunch? Saturday morning the speculations were out, Saturday afternoon the phones were ringing--John called Larry three times to check in to see what occurred. (This makes me think that women and men aren't that different in some ways). It turns out we don't have another engagement to add to the holiday list. I guess her "male friend" just wanted to have lunch with Larry since they know each other too. Boy, if only this man knew what an uproar of excitement he caused : )

In other news, my latest project (besides trying to decorate, look at financial stuff, etc. etc.) is to find a "cocktail dress" for a holiday party I'm going to out of town this weekend. I didn't realize I was old enough to go to a party with a dress code. I can't imagine I could have a party at my house where I asked people to dress up. I'm sure that would be a very small party. Maybe things are different in Indiana with the married with two kids crowd. So, the dress search is on. It's funny how winter dresses and summer dresses don't seem to be that different. They both are sleeveless with strappy shoes. I'm thinking that look is a little easier to pull off in the warm weather but we'll see. Wish me luck.

Comments