Making a commitment

This weekend I decided to tackle painting my guest bedroom/office. I chose this dark rose ish color in the bedspread and after looking at 30 different shades of that color I picked one and was on my way. I got this funny response every time I told people I picked the color "dark rose." "Wow, that's a commitment..." "Boy, you're really making a commitment with that color." I just didn't get it. I don't think of painting as a commitment. I mean, if I told people I was getting a pet or something like that, now that would be a commitment, but painting? I just didn't get it.

After painting the whole room and going through uneasiness of "oh my god, this is so dark. Is this really a 1980s color and I'm just now realizing it?" And, the winner comment of my dad telling people at work that the color looks like a "bordello" (also known as a house of prostitution) I see why this is a commitment. You really have to like, and defend, your color choice which I'm not sure about right now. Although it is growing on me and might look fantastic with all my stuff in the room (trying to be positive : ) Maybe I'm starting a trend...or maybe I'm just getting a primer in how to paint....

Thank goodness for the friendly, informative people at Home Depot who informed me not to think of this as a mistake if I don't like it, but as a "base coat" to a new color or idea.... Wow, I hope they pay them the big bucks for home improvement knowledge and their counseling ability : ) I may go back there for other uneasiness in my life (haha)

Comments