The end is near

No, not the end of the world, but the end of my wonderful Windows Me laptop. I do really like it and it has lasted well longer than most laptops--it's six years old and still kicking. Although lately, I've felt like kicking it more often than not : ) After not being able to use my new printer with it and being on the phone with HP for an hour and a half for them to tell me it's an operating issue and not their problem, I think I'm throwing in the towel. If time is truly money then it's definitely time to cut my losses and go with something less problematic.

So, I'm taking opinions on new laptops and what works best. I've been encouraged to wait until Christmas and buy a new computer with the new Vista (Aero?) operating system. Of course, this makes me think that if I do buy that then the "new and improved" system, it's guaranteed to be one of the worst ones ever designed sort of like Me (note read previous entry on the top five worst technology products). I'm debating whether I just get an XP system since it works well and by now they've gotten the bugs worked out or go for the new, not as tested system. It's a toss up.

In other news, when random things happen, is it really that random? Something to ponder : )

Comments

Gayle said…
It seems to me that Microsoft doesn't get anything right the first try. So I'd be leery of a brand new operating system version. Once that Op. System has been out for 6 months to a year, that would be better. Just my two cents, but Windows XP has been out for awhile.

As for new Laptops... I have heard pretty good things about Toshiba. Jeff has had some not-so-good luck with his Dell. And I have had some problems with my HP laptop. It's only a couple years old maybe. (Have had significant issues with the power cord not wanting to stay connected inside the computer; it doesn't take much at all to jar it loose. And I have already had to replace the battery since it got to the point where it would not keep a charge AT ALL, not even for 1 second, literally. And now the internal card reader is completely dead. Batteries weaken, and the power cord not staying in causing the battery to completely discharge sometimes didn't help the overall battery life, I'm sure. But a card reader is something that seems like it should last longer than a year or two! I might buy an HP again if it was a good deal, but it wouldn't be my first choice for sure.