Learning things about yourself

I've been learning a lot lately. It's been a year of knowledge--not all good knowledge but lots of stuff in lots of different life areas. So much stuff in fact that I find myself sitting at home in silence trying to absorb it all (okay maybe that's a stretch but not too far off. ; )

Yesterday I realized a valuable lesson. I don't like to be told publicly I'm wrong. I don't mind the soft peddling of "Oh really, I'm not sure I've experienced that" or "Hmm...Really? I haven't heard that before." I don't mind someone telling me privately, "You know, I think you might have your facts wrong." I can handle and respect all those approaches because who wants to be spouting wrong information.

Yesterday I was faced with the less tolerable declaration of "THAT'S NOT TRUE!" when in fact, my comment was true but that's another story. The whole "that's not true" statement rings up there with the "YOU'RE WRONG!" which really irks me. What purpose does it serve to do that? I don't get it. The other issue of course would be the person blurting out the inaccuracies in that way should really focus more on their tact but that I guess is an issue for them to deal with! I just need to focus on letting it go when I really am wrong!

Comments