A healthy dose of reality

As more and more people I know have kids, it's interesting to see the different perceptions people have of their children. Some just think that their little baby is a genius!! I mean, he already spells and says the alphabet and he's only two and a half (I didn't want to burst their bubble and point out that he still doesn't eat solid foods yet....)

Then you have the more "balanced" parents as I guess you could call them. They realize their child has strengths and weaknesses just like anyone else. My friends were telling me about their two year old's pre-school/daycare assessment they got from her teacher. They ranked their daughter on these different skills. She excelled at "independent conflict resolution" and she was the only two year old who said "Hola!" when the Spanish teacher came in to the classroom each week. The teachers seemed to think this was brilliant that she knew to say "Hola" to him.

My more balanced friends had their own explanation for their daughter's "genius like ability." Their explanation: "We're guessing that she just thinks his name is "Hola." haha

Comments