Putting the "U" and "I" back in communication

The United States gets a bad rap for its depressing low marital statistic of at least half, if not two thirds, of marriages that end in divorce. This makes most of us worry about the likelihood of our own odds of having a successful union someday. Frankly, it probably makes a lot of people just throw out the whole marriage idea altogether--I mean why try, if it's not going to work anyway....

Then you get to talking to different people about their own relationships and you start to make better sense of the low success rate. I get the idea that a lot of couples really don't talk all that much--at least not to EACH OTHER! It's funny the things you can ask people "Well, did you tell so and so how that makes you feel?" "No." "Did you talk about this aspect of that situation?" "No." "Have your ever brought up your expectations of what is happening?" "No." Geez people, what on earth are you talking to each other about?!?! Have a conversation or two and maybe some of these issues would really no longer be issues when you realize "Oh, that's what you meant by that! I was angry for nothing!" C'mon now, let's communicate!!! It would help out everyone!

Comments

I'm watching the playoffs and catching up on your blog at the same time, but I completely agree. I think a lot of people also settle for someone that may not be the best fit, which can later lead to problems or they never really define themselves before entering relationships. I'd say I've been rather picky/patient in my dating life, but I know who I am and what I want. Finding what you've been looking for may take awhile, but once you meet them, you know it's who you've been waiting for. That's my two cents:)
Kaci said…
I agree Ryan. I think people get caught up in the whole "timeline of life" and think "Oh, I graduated from college now so I must get married so I can check that off my list."