Being the friend you want to have

We all hear about the saying about if you want a certain quality in a friend, spouse, co-worker, you first need to work to have that quality in yourself. These last few days, I'm proud to say I feel like I've been the friend I would want to have. When a good friend needed help which involved a last minute road trip and many hours in the car, I said "Sure, I can go." I didn't know many details at the time, but I knew it was important to have someone be with my friend. There really wasn't a question on if I would go or not if I was able.

As I think back to the past few days, I realize my thoughts and decision probably came from the good friends I've been blessed to have in my life. I mean, really, you don't learn to be a good friend in a bubble! My old roommate and her college friends were such good "friend examples." When their friend's father was dying, they pulled together their small after college salaries to buy a plane ticket for her to come home to see her dad. Wow....talk about an example I will remember for the rest of my life and more than likely made me a better friend for it.

Comments