Oh, the times they are a changin'

I must admit I watched the Inaugural festivities most of the day yesterday. I saw the meeting with the Bushes and Obamas at the White House (way to bring a gift Michelle!), the flubbed oath, the masses of people and the non-stop coverage of America's first BLACK president (no one seemed to highlight the fact his mom wasn't black, but really who am I to point that out...) Honestly, I'm waiting for the day they stop saying Barack Obama, America's first BLACK president and just call him President Obama. All in all, it was a great day for political junkies like me--even one who didn't vote for change. It's inspiring to see many people's excitement for what they believe this new president can bring about in our country. I hope their positive outlook continues because "change" doesn't happen fast.

Comments

hpytrvlr said…
I listened to the inaugural since I was at work. They lost me with the poem after the inaugural speech. Since the word hope is flying around, I'd agree with you and my hope that he can be the savior everyone wants him to be to move us in an upward swing. And hope more that they don't throw him to the wolves when he can't be a savior but just another president trying to do the best he can for our country in his situation.
KP said…
You are one of the few who has been brave enough to say that he's half white. You NEVER hear that he was raised by his WHITE grandmother and barely even knew his dad's side of the family. An anchor would be hung if he/she said that on air. For our sake, I hope he can be a saviour (with a little s) to this country but I'll admit...I'm a skeptic.
Kaci said…
I agree that hopefully people's enthusiasm will continue as they realize government is still government and it's not meant to change overnight. No matter who is in office, it's a tough job so let's hope people continue their support. Kristy--you're right, the story of the Kenyan father who left and the white family who raised him isn't as "sexy." It's still a great day in America though when we can finally look past skin color--no matter what the background.