In the Middle of the Mess by Sheila Walsh review

I must admit, when I picked up this book to read it for the first time, I had to put it down. It was too much for me. I had just gotten married and the stress of wedding planning and having the large scale event in another country was still quite fresh in my mind. I felt as though "Whew....I'll be glad to read about someone else's journey now that I'm on the other side of this momentous, emotion-filled occasion." As a week or two went by and I picked the book back up. I was ready to dive into someone else's journey and stressors--ones much different and deeper than I had ever experienced.


Sheila Walsh shows us an insider's view on a topic that most often goes unspoken:suicide and sucidial thoughts. Being more of an autobiographical book, the author brings to light family secrets that many of us have and yet have kept hidden. Walsh shows us the power in being honest with God and others about these struggles and breaking the power they have when they are kept in the dark.


As someone who wasn't familiar with Sheila Walsh before this book, I read it from a point of view of another person sharing her everyday story. Since reading it, I have seen her on Life Today and realize the book may have even more impact on someone who has seen her in this public role and now can see the internal struggle.


This review is part of my partnership with Handlebar Press to post a review in exchange for an advance copy of the book "In the Middle of the Mess, Strength for This Beautiful, Broken Life" by Sheila Walsh.

Comments